Practice Hospitality



I struggle. I struggle knowing how to serve God in this season of life, surrounded by kids and laundry and dirty dishes (so many dirty dishes!). How to be a person that points others to Jesus right now. My circle of influence is small and mostly consists of the people that live within the same 4 walls as I do. Sometimes those walls feel like the borders of my life. How can I love and serve God right here in the midst of it all?

I really, really struggled trying to figure out what my "spiritual gifts" are.  Maybe God would call me to be a great speaker and stirrer of emotion that would point numerous people toward Him? Maybe I would be asked to use my organizational and administrative skills to plan and put on great events for Him? I mean, I love words I love that there are so many to choose from, and that they each have a very specific meaning so that we can use all kinds of words to articulate our thoughts and feelings with each other. I love words that feel so good coming out of my mouth that they leave a smile on my lips.  But alas, God has not called me to speak to large groups of people and stir their hearts toward Him.  God has called me to a much smaller purpose one that I can do right here and right now. He has called me to invite people into my home, to enter into the borders of my life and share my home and life with them.  To share my brokenness and my mess so that I can relate on a personal level with others.  To speak truth and life to the children that come to my kids' parties and are involved in the same activities as them.  You know what, it is my greatest honor.  

I used to try to force what I thought were my strengths into God's plan. But I should know better than that. One of my very favorite passages is in 1 Corinthians 1:26-31 "Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things- and the things that are not to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him. It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God -that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. Therefore, as it is written, "Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord."" I wanted to have a "better" more "fun" spiritual gift. I wanted to be the person that everyone looked at and thought "WOW! She sure is doing a lot for the kingdom" I know, I know, that is the complete opposite of giving glory to God.  BUT, when I finally realized this, I began to see that God had equipped me long ago for my calling.  My calling is to "practice hospitality" with everyone that I come into contact with.  Especially my kids' friends.  

OK, great "practice hospitality" but what does that even mean?  A quick Google definition search tells us that practice means to "1. perform (an activity) or exercise (a skill) repeatedly or regularly in order to improve or maintain one's proficiency. 2. carry out or perform (a particular activity, method or custom) habitually or regularly." Hospitality is "the friendly and generous reception and entertainment of guests, visitors, or strangers."  I want this to define my life.  I know I spend a lot of time digging into the meanings of words, but I want to be clear. I have learned that assuming always ends badly. I have to be clear and intentional with my life, right down to the words I choose to define myself and convey my ideas to others so that there is less chance of misinterpretation.  I want to be intentional when I practice hospitality.  I want to be friendly and generous in the reception and entertainment of others, and I want to do this habitually and on purpose.  

I used to think that hospitality had a bit of pretentiousness to it. That there had to be some sort of formality or ceremony to it.  I was wrong.  That is not hospitality at all.  I want you to come into my home and know that I do not have my life together (seriously, I do not at all!) but that you are always loved and welcomed.  And I promise to offer you whatever I have on hand, even if that is leftover Halloween candy and bottled water. I want my home to be an inviting place where others leave feeling filled and loved and seen and understood. I want you to feel like you can drop by anytime, like you can call and say, "can I come over?" and the answer will always be YES! Because you ARE welcome, loved, seen, and I will do my very best to understand. We need each other, and I will be there with leftover candy from some holiday, an empty chair that needs filled and a drink to offer you. I want to hear your story, love and encourage you friends.  If you know nothing else, know that you are indeed welcome and loved not just by me but by the God of the universe.  And if you feel far from Him, sometimes there is comfort in good friends. It's just one of the many things I hope you know.

- Love Jenn

Comments

  1. Hey Jenn! Tiffany here. I saw a quote today: "Go small and show up". Opposed to going big or going home. Small offerings of love, because of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Broken Everywhere